Saturday, January 26, 2013

Saturday Evening Creature Feature, Black-capped Chickadee

I don’t know if we think about it, but we do have a wonderful selection of Chickadees here in North America. On my list is the Black-capped Chickadee, Carolina Chickadee, Chestnut-backed Chickadee and Mountain Chickadee. Add to that Grey-headed Chickadees and Boreal Chickadee and the Mexican Chickadee.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

These tits are tough as nails. I’ve seen Black-capped chickadees and Mountain Chickadees survive sub-zero weather…-20F.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

When you consider that they weigh about the same as a bill from the IRS, that is something to ponder.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

One behavior that I observed this year that I’ve never seen before is this Black-capped Chickadee foraging on this fungus. I saw it twice on two different occasions.

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

©2012 Steve Borichevsky

7 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Steve, beautiful shots of the Chickadee. They are such cute birds.

Kerri said...

Great captures! I didn't realize they ate fungus!

Jenny said...

Hi Steve, that 3rd shot is a beauty! Gorgeous colours! I've been MIA from blogging for over a year, but am hoping to get back into it again now. (-:

Judy said...

I'd never thought about it, but they are tough little things! There are days here in Ottawa when their calls are the only bird sounds I hear in the winter! And it gets cold here!!!
You have a great selection of images of chickadees!!

Ana said...

So beautiful :)

cindyzlogic said...

One of my favorite birds well captured, Steve!

evebou77 said...

Superbe cet oiseau !

Related Posts with Thumbnails