Monday, February 17, 2014

Winter Common Loon

I happened upon this Common Loon hunting just off of Plum Island. He was very tolerant of people. In fact, on two occasions I had people walking their dogs come by. Naturally the dogs just had to come up to greet me, however this Loon took it all in stride.

Alas, we only get loons in winter plumage here. Just as they start to molt into their breeding plumage, they take off for fresh water lakes.

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

©2014 Steve Borichevsky

6 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

Great photos of the loon Steve.

Margaret Adamson said...

HI Steve Wonderful shots. You say it is a common loon,is that the same as a Pacific Loon? I say this because on this Thiusday I am post a Loon or as we call them Divers and I wondered if it was the same species

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

Great captures. Congrats..

Amazing wonders in my life said...

Fantastic pics... Loved every bit of it..

Bill Miller said...

Great pictures. What is the bird eating?

Steve Borichevsky said...

It appears that they are eating Green Crabs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails